Project Description: Personalize your own gift tags for a party occasion with a mixed media PARTY TIME tag using Grafix Monoprint Plates, Shrink Film, and Artist-tac.
Designed by: Kay Molyneux
- Grafix Monoprint Plate 8 x 10
- Grafix White Shrink Film
- Grafix Artist-tac Adhesive
- IndigoBlu English Cottage Artist’s Acrylic Paints – Banana Custard, Townhouse Teal, Rouge, Grandma’s Teacup
- Slow Drying Medium (See Helpful note 1)
- Hippy Chick Stencil (Andy Skinner)
- Sentiment stamp of choice
- White Gesso
- Black tag card 3″x6″ (7.5 x 15cm)
- Black Archival ink pad and inking sponge
- Versamark Ink pad
- Silver Embossing powder
- Co-coordinating ribbon
- Star punch
- Silicon Glue
- Heat Tool / Oven
- Speed Ball Brayer
- Copy paper
- Stencils and bubble wrap
- Black outline pen
Steps to Make This:
- Place 3 pea sized blobs of both Banana Custard and Townhouse Teal paint onto the monoprint plate and use the brayer to spread and blend evenly. Add stencils and press bubble wrap over top, then remove the stencils. Take the first print by placing a sheet of copy paper over the paint and press over with the brayer, carefully peel off. (A ‘ghost’ can be taken by lightly spraying the remaining paint with water and placing another sheet of copy paper over).
- Without cleaning the plate, place 3 pea sized blobs of both Rouge and Grandma’s Teacup and brayer as before. Place the mask and remove some paint with a different shaped bubble wrap and add a few paint rings with gesso and a bottle top. Take a print as before with the mask in place using copy paper with the 1st print. (A ‘ghost’ print can be also taken with the mask removed; this can then be used for another project).
- The mask is replaced over the print and the stars from the stencil are sponged with white gesso on a sponge. (See helpful tip 2)
- With the mask in place and draw around it with a black outline pen and sponge Archival ink on one side to create a shadow.
- Cut out the image and adhere to the black card tag, edge with black ink.
- Stamp sentiment onto white shrink film with StazOn and cut out. Punch out 5 stars apply Versa Mark to each and cover with silver embossing powder. Shrink all the elements. (See Helpful note 3)
- Glue the stars and sentiment with silicon glue and add a ribbon tie.
- You need an acrylic paint with a long drying time, Golden Acrylics are great but I don’t have any so I mixed my good quality paints 1:1 with slow drying medium to extend the drying time.
- Make sure the sponge is not too wet as the paint will seep under the stencil.
- The embossing powder will remain liquid and hot for a few minutes and will burn skin
The packaging will have instructions to use the Artist-Tac adhesive and Shrink film. I prefer to shrink using a heat tool and I have a wooden block to control the shrinkage. If using embossing powder then don’t try to hold it down as the powder will become liquid when heated.