Project Description: How to create a Dreamland Mobile, using Grafix Vellum. DIY unique paper creations to add extra charm to a baby nursery or use as baby shower decor.
Steps to Make This:
- Start by tracing images of a moon, stars, and clouds onto Grafix Vellum or cut images using a cutting machine. You will need 6 cloud shapes to make one 2D cloud, 3-star shapes to create one 2D star and one crescent moon.
- Once you have all your images cut out, start by placing 6 cloud pieces in front of you. Next, make a fold down the center of every cloud piece.
- Now take one folded cloud piece and gently apply a light layer of wrinkle-free glue to one side of your folded cloud piece.
- Next, pick up another folded cloud piece and firmly press both cloud pieces together -glue side, you will need to repeat this step in a carousel pattern until you have connected all six clouds pieces together. Note: leave the last folded cloud piece glue FREE, and set aside for later.
- Next, set 3-star shapes in front of you, and follow steps 3-4. Note: leave the last folded star piece glue FREE and (again) set aside for later.
- Finally, the crescent moon. You may leave it as is, or you may add texture to your vellum paper moon by using a molding mat and a ball tool.
- To create a hammered look by placing my vellum paper moon onto a molding mat and gently pressing down with a ball tool in a circular motion until reaching the desired texture.
- Once all pieces are completed. Take a tree twig (from the great outdoors) or a craft wood dowel rod. It’s time to start assembling the vellum paper mobile.
- Start by knotting a few fishing line strands along your preferred mobile base leaving a gap of about 2″ to 3″ between fishing line strings.
- Next, take your main centerpiece, it could be a star, a cloud or your crescent moon, this part is up to you. Secure all pieces with washi tape. Note: this part is temporary and only necessary as you arrange your pieces to the fishing line strands; it’s much easier to start again if the placement isn’t satisfactory. Once your mobile looks right to you, then move onto the next step.
- Glue all open mobile pieces (clouds + stars) together in the desired position, once this step is complete; carefully remove any washi tape that may still be visible.