Grafix Lesson Plan: Lesson 14
Project Description: Learn how to create an illuminated letter using Grafix Vellum.
Designed by: Kirby Meng
Difficulty: Moderately Challenging
- Grafix Vellum
- Sketchbook for practice
- Pencil and eraser
- Permanent marker
- Wax based colored pencils
- The Book of Kells (great place to look for inspiration)
Steps to Make This:
- Start with a block letter, using the initial of the first, middle or last name.
- Alter the block letter to make it more interesting in some way.
- Add designs and embellishments to make an interesting and meaningful work of art. Incorporate drawings and designs that have personal meaning.
- Sketch onto Grafix Vellum in your choice of color/finish.
- Trace the lines of the design with a permanent marker.
- Erase over the entire design to get rid of any stray pencil lines.
- Add color with wax based colored pencils or the medium of your choosing.
- Display all illuminated letters and discuss how letters and monograms have been important throughout history.