Project Description: Create a fluid mixed media collage using alcohol inks and Grafix Matte Dura-Lar Film.
Designed by: Chris Cozen
Difficulty: Moderately Challenging
Steps to Make This:
- Squirt a line of color onto Grafix .005 2-sided Matte Dura-Lar Film, then immediately pull a wide brush dipped in Alcohol through it spreading the ink into a fine layer of color to soften it.
- Squeeze a few drops of a second color directly on top of the first color layer. They will bloom and form circles with dark edges.
- Dip a fine tip brush into the alcohol and touch the centers of the circles to create a center.
- Using the fine tip brush dipped in alcohol to draw the first color layer to create lines. The alcohol will “erase” color when used in this way and the line will become visible.
- Drop the third color into the top of the Dura-Lar Film and use the brush with alcohol to manipulate the edges. This will break up the solid color and create more movement.
- Wet the area in the bottom third of the composition and drop in more of the first color used. Use a brush to introduce water to the color and this will create new patterns and movement.
- Drop in yellow and using the wet tip of a fine tip brush pulling lines out and up from the edge of the circle of color formed by the ink.
- Place a few drops of your inks onto Grafix Inking Palette. Use the edge of a fine tip to tap a pattern of color into the bottom of the composition.
- Drop yellow into the center of the first blue circles added in #2 then immediately drop alcohol into the yellow ink. The colors will bloom.
- Dip the fine tip brush in alcohol and touch areas of the pattern created in #8. Fill up the bottom of the composition with more of the techniques until satisfied.
- Use a fine tip permanent ink pen to go over the edges and add more detail.
- Flip the composition over and add stenciling and/or torn paper collage to the back to give depth and drama to the composition. Glue using Polymer Medium.