Project Description: Create 2 cards with one alcohol ‘foiled’ panel using Grafix Opaque White Craft Plastic Film.
Designed by: Keren Baker
- Grafix Opaque White Craft Plastic Film
- Ranger Alcohol Inks in Turquoise & Stream
- Stix2 Foil Sheets
- Dies: Altenew Caps Bold Alpha, Tim Holtz Festive Trims 664733, and Sizzix Circles
- White, Black, and Gold Glitter Cardstock
- Colored paper in Greens, Reds, Browns, and White
- Alcohol Ink Felt and Applicator
- Ranger Alcohol Blending Solution
- Die-Cut Machine
- White and Gold Gel Pen
- Foam Pads
Steps to Make This:
For the Gold and Blue Joy card:
- Start by cutting Grafix Opaque White Craft Plastic Film to fit the front of your cardstock base
- Using a white tend folded base measuring 6” x 4”, add a smaller layer of black cardstock and a smaller layer of gold glitter cardstock.
- Using the Opaque White Craft Plastic Film daub alcohol inks onto the plastic using a felt-covered applicator. Add plenty of ink and then add drops of the alcohol blending solution (or high concentrate alcohol).
- The trick to making this technique work is getting the alcohol to pool with concentrated areas of color. These edges dry more slowly and therefore stay a little sticky and you can get the foil to stick.
- With a little experimentation, dab the foil (with colored foil side up) onto the concentrated color areas, and if the foil sticks, you’ve achieved the look. If the alcohol ink transfers onto the reverse of the foil, you know you haven’t left it long enough.
- Keep adding more ink and alcohol until you get enough areas of concentrated color. You can continue adding color even after foiled areas.
For the Joy Foliage Card:
- Using a 5” x 15” white base, add a layer of black cardstock. Die-cut a white cardstock circle and add to the center of the card.
- Then die-cut the foliage using reds, browns, greens, and white and affix to the card base.
- Using the leftover ‘Joy’ letters (see the technique for the previous card on how to create the foiled alcohol ink), add them to the card using foam pads.
- Lastly, add dots of gold and white gel pen around the top right-hand corner to complete the card.