“Flights of Fancy” Journal
Project Description: Create a shabby chic journal with a fantasy flora and fauna theme using the Grafix 6×9 Mixed Media Journal.
Designed by: Maura Hibbits
Difficulty: Moderately Challenging
- Grafix Mixed Media Journal
- Stamperia Wonderland 12×12 scrapbook paper
- Joggles Peacock Doodle Mask
- Simon Says Stamp Peony Bouquet stencil
- Tim Holtz/Sizzix Perspective Butterfly die
- Tim Holtz/Stampers Anonymous rubber stamps:
- Perspective, Specimen, Field Notes
- Dina Wakley/Ranger Acrylic Paint
- Aloe, Olive, Heather, Turquoise, Lemon
- Liquitex Basics Acrylic Paint – Light Pink
- Simon Says Stamp Black Dye ink
- Tim Holtz/Ranger Distress ink – ground espresso
- Tim Holtz/Ranger Distress Crackle Paste
- Big Shot Die-Cutting Machine
- Acrylic Paintbrush
- Heat Tool
- Black Card Stock
- Glue Stick
- Palette Knife
- Foam Tape
- Cosmetic Sponges
- Tim Holtz/Ranger Mini Blender and Dome Foam
- Adhesive Tape
- Slot Punch
- Baby Wipes
Steps to Make This:
- Begin the project with the chipboard covers. Brush and blend yellow and pink acrylic paint on both sides of the covers.
- Use the Peacock Doodles mask, Turquoise, and Aloe acrylic paint. Pounce a mix of the two colors through the mask with a cosmetic sponge on both sides of the covers. Use a light touch with the paint.
- Stencil the Clear and Wet Media Dura-Lar sheets with the Peony Bouquet stencil. Use Turquoise on one, Light Pink on the other. On the Matte Dura-Lar, use the same stencil, and sponge in one corner with turquoise paint, and the opposite corner with yellow paint.
- Stencil the backgrounds on the Opaque White and Black Dura-Light Craft Plastic sheets, using the Peacock Doodles mask. On the black sheets, begin with the lightest color (Heather) in a few areas. Then, go in with the sponge and add Light Pink in the remaining areas. On the white, do the same technique using the Lemon and Olive paints.
- Cut, tear, or fussy cut images from the Stamperia Wonderland scrapbook papers to add to some pages in the journal. Edge pieces with the Ground Espresso ink and adhere to the page
- Add a thick layer of Distress Crackle Paste to the cover image. Let dry overnight. Rub Olive paint over the crackle areas and rub off the excess with a baby wipe.
- Stamp images and words onto some of the pages. Stamp other images onto the scrapbook paper and fussy cut to use as embellishments.
- Die-cut several large Perspective Butterflies out of black card stock. Cut in half, and adhere along the edge of several pages. It always works well to echo designs several times throughout the journal
- Layer the sheets into a pleasing pattern, so that the clear pages reveal the pages below. Use the discs now to complete the journal and enjoy!