Project Description: Create a Mixed Media art piece featuring beautiful fall leaves using a combination of Grafix Dura-Lar Clear Film, Computer Grafix, and Grafix Artist-tac.
Designed by: Lori Warren
Difficulty: Moderately Challenging
- Clear Grafix Dura-Lar Film
- Clear Computer Grafix Film
- Grafix Artist-tac
- 5” x 7” Flat Panel Canvas
- Staz-On Pigment Ink – Piano Black
- Craft Mat
- Texture Medium
- White Gesso
- Americana Acrylic Paint
- Americana DuraClear Matte Varnish
- Artist PITT Pens
- Poly Clear Stamps and Frame cuts
- Double-sided Mounting Tape
- Collage Papers (printed napkins, tissue paper, and book/music print)
Steps to Make This:
- Arrange the metal dies onto a sheet of Clear Grafix Dura-Lar Film then cut out images.
- Keep the negative space to use as a stencil and the positive for space for the leaf embellishments.
- Coat a 5” x 7” flat panel canvas with the white gesso, allow it to dry.
- Use the double-sided mounting tape to adhere to the collage papers onto the canvas with the matte varnish.
- Trim the excess paper away after the varnish has dried.
- Then coat the collage papers with a light coat of white gesso.
- Lay the die-cut Dura-Lar Film stencil onto the canvas and apply texture paint over the stencil.
- Carefully lift off stencil and allow the texture paint to dry.
- Apply a coat of matte varnish, and then allow it to dry.
- Next, add color to the canvas with acrylic paint, allow it to dry.
- Use a dry brush to add a leaf texture with white gesso, allow it to dry.
- Apply orange paint splatters around the canvas.
- Then apply three colors of acrylic paint to the craft mat, spray with water and gently mix.
- Lay a die-cut leaf into the wet paint on the craft mat, lift off the paint, and allow it to dry. Repeat with all leaf shapes.
- On the non-painted side, stamp leaf die-cut shapes with coordinating stamp images using permanent inks.
- Then apply black paint splatters.
- Add shading around the edges of the canvas with PITT pens.
- Print a Fall saying onto the Clear Grafix Computer Film.
- Cut the saying into a strip to fit on the canvas panel and adhere to the top portion of canvas.
- Use Grafix Artist-tac to adhere to the two die-cut leaves to the canvas panel. For the third leaf, adhere over the top of the other two with double-sided mounting tape.
- Embellish with adhesive gems, placed just under the Fall saying.