Project Description: Create a beautiful vintage butterfly journal using the Grafix 6”x 9” Mixed Media Journal.
Designed by: Lori Warren
Difficulty: Moderately Challenging
- Grafix Mixed Media Journal – 6” x 9”
- DecoArt Americana Premium – White Gesso
- Beacon – 3-in-1 glue
- Ranger – Tim Holtz Distress Oxide ink – Tea Dye
- Vintage dictionary book print
- Windsor Newton – Gouache, Permanent White, Magenta, Neutral Grey
- Master’s Touch – Gouache, Yellow Ochre
- Lami Li Decorative Paper – Venetian Mask
- Lost Coast Designs – Carmen Veranda Butterfly Square stamp
- Vintage Lace Ribbon
- DecoArt Dura Clear Ultra Matte Varnish
- Ranger – Archival ink, Jet Black
- Metal corners and charms
Steps to Make This:
- Cover each Chipboard Journal page with white gesso.
- Select page to use as the journal cover and then adhere torn strips of dictionary book print with clear matte varnish
- Next, adhere decorative paper to the cover with clear matte varnish.
- Apply a light coat of white gesso.
- On a square piece of cardstock, stamp the Butterfly Square image with permanent ink.
- Create a faux vintage finish to the butterfly element by applying a watered-down layer of Gouache Yellow Ochre paint, blot off excess paint with a paper towel.
- Add additional color to the Butterfly stamped image with Gouache paint. Mount Butterfly element to a slightly larger piece of coordinating cardstock.
- Wrap the lower portion of the Butterfly piece with string and tie off.
- Adhere vintage lace ribbon to the left-hand side of the journal cover.
- Adhere the butterfly element to the top portion of the journal cover.
- Adhere decorative metal corners as well as metal butterfly charm to journal cover.
- Sponge the cover’s edges with distress ink.
- Attached finished cover to front of Chipboard Journal.
- Adhere decorative paper to the inside front cover as well as to the back cover page.
- Apply a light coat of white gesso to the back and inside-front cover. Once dry, attach the pages to the Chipboard journal.