Project Description: Use Grafix Dura-Lar create a unique hidden Message Matchbox.
Designed by: Karen Baker
Difficulty: Moderately Difficult
- Grafix Matt Dura-Lar Film
- Grafix Dura-Lar Clear Film
- PaperArtsy Stamps – EGL25, EGL27
- Gel plate
- Ranger Jet Black Archival Ink
- PaperArtsy Acrylic Paint in Mustard Pickle, Lily The Pink, Green Patine, Cerulean and Aquamarine
- PaperArtsy Stencil –PS270
- Altenew Caps Bold Alpha dies
- Embossing paste
- Translucent Glitter
- White Cardstock
- White Gel Pen
- Scotch Satin Finish Gift wrapping tape
- Seam Ribbon Binding in pink
- Craft mat
Steps to Make This:
- Using some coloured paint add to a gel plate with a brayer, making random blocks of colour, take a print onto cardstock and leave to dry. Create a few sheets.
- Trim out one piece measuring 10cm x 21cm and another 20.5cm x 16.5cm. Score the 10cm x 21cm at 4.5cm , 7cm, 14cm and 16.5cm on the long side. With the printed side face up, fold using mountain folds and adhere ends together, overlapping to make a hollow rectangular wrap.
- Using the other piece printed side down, score at 5cm along each edge and then at 10cm each edge. Score and fold using valley folds,. Trim out the edge squares so you end up with a shape like in the photograph and fold the edges inward to create the matchbox.
- Trim out a piece of Dura-Lar clear film 9.5cm x 21cm. Score and fold at 4.5cm, 7cm, 14cm and 16.5cm. Flatten the piece and add some low tack tape around the outside edge of centre 6.5cm x 9.5cm area.
- Add the stencil to the are and add embossing paste to it and sprinkle glitter over the area. Leave to dry.
- Using the leftover dried paint, take lengths of satin parcel tape and burnish the tape onto the mat. Lift the tape carefully and the dried tape should stick to the underside of the tape.
- Wrap the stencilled piece around the painted wrap. Adhere the ends together using the paint lifted tape. Add more tape to the edges of the wrap.
- Using some plain cardstock and some of the gel printed card, trim out to 5.5cm x 7.5cm pieces (5 of each). Trim out 5 pieces of Dura-Lar Matt film measuring 5cm x 6cm. Die cut your chosen word from alphabet dies and stamp them with images using black ink.
- Add pieces of paint-lifted tape across each letter and trim over any overhanging bits. Adhere the letters to the centre of the Dura-Lar matt and then stick these directly onto the painted rectangles.
- Add some black dashed lines to the edges of the Matt Dura-Lar pieces and lay each lettered piece face down, spaced out equally in a line. Adhere a long length of pink seam ribbon centrally that’s longer than the length of the letter pieces and using the plain cardstock pieces, adhere over the top of the ribbon to sandwich the pieces together.
- Tie a knotted loop at the top of the ribbon to help lift the piece up and fold the letters down into the matchbox. Add a piece of paint-lifted tape to one of the edges of the inner matchbox to help pull the inside part.