Project Description: Customize a boring wire basket with Grafix Metallic Shrink Film for shrinkable fun and décor!
Designed by: Tami Sanders
Difficulty: Moderately Challenging
Steps to Make This:
- Fold a piece of scrap paper in half and cut 2 leaf shapes; larger leaf should measure about 5″ long and the smaller about 4″ long.
- Trace leaf shapes on chipboard.
- Cut out shapes to use as templates.
- Trace large leaves on Gold Shrink Film and small leaves on Silver Shrink Film using a permanent marker. You will need the same number of each color; quantity will depend on the size of your basket.
- Cut out leaves just inside lines.
- Punch a hole at the center of the rounded end of each leaf.
- Arrange leaves on a parchment-lined baking sheet being careful not to crowd them. Bake to shrink as directed on packaging.
- Leaves after baking.
- This is the top side of the leaves after baking, mostly smooth in texture.
- This photo shows the backside of the leaves, they have taken on the texture of the parchment.
- Here is a close-up showing the texture detail.
- This photo shows both the fronts and backs of the leaves side by side. Decide which side you want to use or mix and match and use both.
- My basket had a handle, so I removed it.
- I bent the hooked ends with pliers and then slipped the handle from the loops at the top of the basket.
- Start attaching the leaves to the top of the basket using jump rings matching the color of the leaves. Space as you wish. For my basket, placing 1 in each loop under the top edge worked well.
- Work your way around the basket alternating colors of leaves as you go.
- Keep attaching leaves until they completely encircle your basket.
- Cut out 2 large leaves from Silver Shrink Film and 4 from Gold. Do not punch holes in these. Bake as directed to shrink.
- Use Quick Grip Glue to attach leaves to cover loops that held the handle at top of basket. Hold each leaf in place a minute or so until glue sets.
- Add silver one to front side at an angle.
- Then add gold leaves to backside angling them in the opposite direction.
- Finished basket.