Project Description: Use Grafix Gold Metallic Foil Board and Grafix Mixed Media Journal to create a fun cover that will get you inspired to create inside your book!
Designed by: Jordan Hill
Difficulty: Moderately Challenging
- Grafix Mixed Media Journal
- Grafix Metallic Foil Board in Gold
- CraftSmart Acrylic Paint in Pink, Neon Yellow, Bright Mint, Aqua, Coral and Golden Brown
- Prismacolor Colored Pencil in Black Cherry
- Texture Stamp
- Background Stencil
- Star Paper Punch
- Black Archival Ink Pad
- Black Pen
- Collage Papers
- Uhu Glue Stick
Steps to Make This:
- Start with a piece of chipboard from your Grafix Mixed Media Journal and prep the surface with gesso. This will be the cover of our journal. Select two colors of paint (I chose a neon yellow and a medium pink color) and place a few drops over the surface of your page. Then, using an old credit card, scrape the paint over the surface.
- Select a piece of interesting paper (the inside of an old envelope, a book page, etc.) and tear a few pieces off. Then adhere it to your chipboard. Tip: If you decide to glue the paper over the edges of your chipboard, use a craft knife to trim the edges. This will ensure that you can get your chipboard back into your journal when you are finished.
- Using a cosmetic sponge and a third color of acrylic paint, stencil some texture onto the background of your page. When doing this, make sure you are overlapping the stenciling with the collage paper, as well as extending the stenciling beyond the edges of your page.
- Use a black ink pad and a patterned stamp to add more texture. Make sure to stamp over top of some of the areas you stenciled in the last step to blend them in a little.
- Now add our focal image. I painted a face in my own signature style, but you can also use photographs, magazine images (fashion magazines are a great place to find faces), or stamped images to get a similar effect.
- Next, using a paper punch and Gold Grafix Metallic Foil Board, punch out a handful of stars. We will be using these to create a crown-like hairpiece for our figure.
- Glue the stars you punched in the last step in a circular pattern around your figure’s head. Then, using whatever plain black pen you have, connect the stars to each other. Doodle a few more stars within the hair to make it appear like a galaxy. I also took this opportunity to write out a quote that I felt was appropriate for the cover of a journal.
- Insert your chipboard back into your journal and you’re now ready to create the inside of your Grafix Mixed Media Journal!