Project Description: Pair Grafix Mixed Media Journal Opaque White and Grafix Gold Metallic Foil Board with acrylic paints and collage to create a fun art journal page!
Designed by: Jordan Hill
Difficulty: Moderately Challenging
- Grafix Mixed Media Journal
- Grafix Double Tack Mounting Film
- Grafix Metallic Foil Board
- CraftSmart Acrylic Paint
- Light Pink, Pink, Orange, Golden Brown and Espresso
- Prismacolor Colored Pencil in Black Grape
- Patterned Scrapbook Paper
- Gelli Plate
- American Crafts Slick Writers
- Foam Background Stamp
- Foam Word Stamp
- Small Star Stamp
- Blue Ink Pad
Steps to Make This:
- Start by removing a piece of Opaque White Craft Plastic from your Grafix Mixed Media Journal. Then, apply a thin layer of acrylic paint to a 5″x7″ Gelli Plate and print it in the center of your Opaque White Craft Plastic. This should create quite a lot of texture and a fun background to start things off!
- Next, use a foam stamp and some orange acrylic paint to add a pattern. Stamp randomly and try to lead the eye around the page by adding the pattern to various parts of your page.
- For the focal point, I glued a piece of paper to my Opaque White Craft Plastic to give myself a space to paint, and then I started to create a face. If you haven’t painted much in the past, it might help to trace a face (from a photo or something similar) to give yourself some guidelines to paint on top of.
- Next, we are going to give our figure a simple body. Select a piece of patterned scrapbook paper that you like and place it near your character’s neck. Then, mark out a simple neckline and some gentle curved lines down the sides. You can then cut this piece out and use Double Tack Mounting Film to add it to your page.
- To finish off your focal image, give the figure some hair and add some emphasis to the shape of the body by tracing along the edges with a Prismacolor Colored Pencil in the color Black Grape.
- Now, add some words to the bottom of your page. I used another foam stamp for my page. Consider overlapping the words with other elements of your page, as I did with this figure’s body. This will help make the different parts of your page feel more connected to each other.
- Using a piece of Grafix Metallic Foil Board in Gold, cut out a small crown shape. You can easily draw on the backside of the Metallic Foil Board with a pencil, then cut it out with scissors. Adhere it to the head of your figure with Grafix Double Tack Mounting Film.
- Add a border to your page. Here, I used an American Crafts Slick Writer to create a checkered pattern around the edges of my Craft Plastic. Giving your page a border will help keep everything confined within the page and will make it feel more finished.
- Finally, using a small star stamp and blue ink, create a small series of stars across your page to fill up some of the empty space. Then, put your Opaque White Craft Plastic back into your Grafix Mixed Media Journal!