Project Description: Create your own alcohol ink painting with Grafix Opaque White Craft Plastic, Computer Grafix & Double Tack Mounting Film.
Designed by: Cheryl Holz
Difficulty: Moderately Challenging
- Grafix Opaque White Craft Plastic Film
- Grafix Clear Laser/Copier Computer Grafix Film
- Grafix Double Tack Mounting Film
- Clip art or drawing of a dragonfly
- Marabu Alcohol Inks: Gentian, Arctic, Aqua Green, Vanilla, Tangerine, Cinnamon, Rainbow, & Extender
- Marabu Graphix Aqua Pen
- Double-Sided Tape
- Rigid Hardboard
- Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol 91%
- Small Spray Bottle
- Small Palette
- Paper Towel
- Old Toothbrush
- Brushes- Fan & Fine
- Burning Tool
- Scrap or Deli paper
- Xacto knife
Steps to Make This:
Wash in the sky
- Tape a 4” x 6” piece of the Grafix Opaque White Craft Plastic Film to the rigid board using double-sided tape.
- Squirt a paper towel with rubbing alcohol, then squirt Marabu Alcohol Inks of Gentian, Arctic, and Aqua Green on the film along the upper-right edge.
- Swipe paper towel quickly across the film, concentrating on top fading towards the bottom. Work back in with a fresh paper towel to remove the clouds.
- Spritz a wad of felt or paper towel with the alcohol and lightly dab on for visual interest/more clouds, or spritz a toothbrush with alcohol and flick on.
- Apply the Vanilla, Tangerine, and Cinnamon alcohol inks in upward strokes, concentrating on the bottom portion of the page.
- Switch to a narrow or fan brushes to pull out into grass-like stalks.
- Apply inks directly to brush to add more color, or apply alcohol the brush to remove color.
- Make several copies of dragonflies onto Grafix Clear Laser/Copier Computer Grafix Film, trying different sizes/ positions.
- Lay them on top of the background, playing around with positioning and scale.
- When pleased with the size and position, make registration marks on the corners on the front with Marabu Graphix Aqua Pen for a reference and placement later. These will be rubbed off later.
Back painting dragonfly
- Flip over the Grafix Clear Laser/Copier Computer Grafix Film with the dragonfly printed on it so you are painting on the backside (not the side with the ink/toner on it). You can feel a slight difference in texture between the front and back.
- Apply Marabu rainbow alcohol ink additive directly to wings and body, spreading to cover the entire area with a small brush.
- Layer colors on wings and body, if desired, using Marabu alcohol ink extender for a gradual fade from darker colors to light.
Attach dragonfly to Prairie sky
- Cut a piece of Grafix Double Tack Mounting Film slightly larger than the background.
- Place the background on a scrap or deli paper to catch the excess mounting film.
- Remove the protective cover, and then burnish the prairie background.
- Remove the 2nd protective adhesive cover, and carefully position the dragonfly above using registration marks as a guide. (Be sure and have the back painted side on the bottom, and the printed side on the top facing you).
- Place the protective paper you just peeled off, over top of the dragonfly film, and burnished to remove any air bubbles.
- Trim edges when once adhered.