Create a unique coffee or tea mug by decorating white Cling Vinyl using matte acrylic paints and white markers. Apply the decorated vinyl to a prepared stainless steel drinking cup and coat with FDA approve epoxy tinted with mica for a one-of-a-kind mug.
Designed by: Celia Buchanan
Difficulty: Medium Difficult
- Grafix Cling Vinyl in White (9×12”)
- Stainless steel tumbler to decorate.
- Golden So Flat Matte Acrylic Paints
- YONO small white paint marker and Uni-Ball Signo white pen broad roller tip
- Rust Oleum Flat Black Primer
- Creative Cuts by Joggles.com or Stencil
- White school glue applies with 1” Flat synthetic paintbrush or similar.
- Makeup sponge or stencil brush
- FDA approved epoxy such as Alumilite Quick Coat
Steps to Make This:
- Clean the tumbler and spray it with several thin coats of black spray paint. If you want to draw onto the tumbler matt spray is best.
- Cover several pieces of the cling vinyl with various colors of So Flat matte paint from Golden using a wide soft flat brush.
- After these have dried. Use the Creative Cut designs of your choice or stencils and decorate the colored vinyl with black matte paint. Use a makeup sponge or stencil brush for this.
- Using the white pens add detail and more decoration for contrast. Then Cut these out into random shapes.
- Apply these to the primmed tumbler using the white glue. On a slick surface the Cling Vinyl should adhere by itself. As this surface is matte adhesive is required.
- Once the pieces are adhered. Use the white paint pens to embellish the designs.
Mix and apply the epoxy according to the manufacturers instruction. Mica powder was mixed into the epoxy in this project. Its advisable to use a tuner to get the best results with epoxy.