Project Description: Grafix Sanded Shrink Film has a beautiful slightly toothy prepared surface that accepts a variety of colored pencils and other dry media and markers. Your image can be drawn directly on the sanded surface of the Shrink Film. No surface preparation is necessary.
Combine Grafix Sanded Shrink Film with colored pencils and your own digital photo to create one of a kind fashion jewelry pieces. Wear them, sell them or trade them with fellow artists and friends.
Designed by: Annette Johnson
- Grafix Sanded Shrink Film
- Grafix Double Tack Mounting Film
- Colored pencils
- Digital camera
- Computer and printer
- Oven and cookie sheet
- Self-adhesive pin backs
- Black permanent marker
- Pencil sharpener
- Hole punch
- Oven parchment
- Jump rings or other jewelry findings
- Light Box
Steps to Make This:
- Take pictures of various subjects to use as a basis for your shrink art.
- Transfer the digital photos to your computer and open the photos in a photo editing program of your choice. Special effects can be applied to your photo to transform the image into a unique piece of artwork.
- Print image 50% larger than desired finished size. For example – a 4×6” original will make a finished piece approximately 2×3”.
- Cut Grafix Sanded Shrink Film to match the size of the printed photo.
- Place shrink film on top of the photo (sanded side facing up) and tape in place.
- Using colored pencils, color on the shrink film using the photo visible beneath as a guide. If necessary use a light box or place against a window to see the image more clearly. A black permanent marker can be used to outline the image before coloring.
- Punch any holes that will be part of your design. A 1/8” punch is perfect for adding jump rings and other findings.
- Bake at 300 – 350 degrees for 2 – 3 minutes following directions on the shrink film package.
- Let pieces cool. If needed attach a non-adhesive pin back using Grafix Double Tack or E6000.
- Viola, wearable photo art! Try making charms for necklaces and bracelets or add a jump ring for custom key chains.