Project Description: Create a portrait of your own pet or a gift for a friend using Grafix Dura-Lar Wet Media Film.
Designed by: Diana Garrett
Difficulty: Moderately Challenging
- Grafix .004 Wet Media Dura-Lar Film
- Black and white photocopy of your pet
- Prismacolor Brush Tip Alcohol Based Markers
- Card stock either white or Scrapbook paper
- Golden Fluid Acrylic Paints
- Clear Tape
- Optional: Matte Sealant or Frame
Steps to Make This:
- Study your pet portrait to look for areas of dark, medium, and light colors- an all-white or all-black pet will still have variations of color that you will use to define the pet face.
- Choose your marker colors. I chose shades of grey and black for my first example and added a bit of eye color with a brown marker.
- Place the Grafix Wet Media Dura-Lar Film over the photocopy. You will see where the areas of color are through your Dura-Lar film.
- Begin with the lightest color of marker and use sweeping hairlike strokes in the direction of the hair following and filling in the lightest colored areas.
- Use the middle color of the marker to fill in the medium-colored areas of the photo overlapping and stroking a bit into the lighter areas that you already colored to make it look like the lightest marker areas are the highlights of your portrait.
- Use the darkest marker color to add the darks. Stroke into the medium areas of color at the edges where they meet to create blends of color.
- Use the brown marker for a bit of color in the lower Iris of the eye and the black for the pupil of the eye and to add more definition to the portrait.
- Place your portrait over the white paper and add more strokes and color if needed.
- Add any details like a colorful collar or costume.
- Your portrait can be finished as is or you can turn it over and add paint colors to the backside to give your portrait more personality.
- Trim your portrait to size and place the background color of the paper behind the image. Secure with a bit of clear tape
- Add a mat or not, and/or frame your artwork if you wish.