Project Description: Both the primary and ghost prints taken from the Dura-Lar Mono Plate are used to make a simple card.
Designed by: Kay Molyneux
- Grafix Monoprint Plate 8×10
- Grafix Stencil Film
- Artist-tac Transfer Film
- Grafix Matte Dura-Lar Film
- IndigoBlu English Cottage Artist’s Acrylic Paints – 3 different colors (I used Banana Custard, Townhouse Teal, and Aladdin (metallic purple) but you can use your own color choice)
- Slow Drying Medium See Note
- 5 3/4″ x 5 3/4″ Black card
- White and black card for die-cutting the sentiment and embellishment
- Speed Ball Brayer
- 130gsm Silk effect copy paper – from stationeries
- Foam stamps
- Bubble wrap to make marks in the paint
- 6″ x 6″ white card blank
- Sizzix Dies – Mixed media circles and sentiment by Pete Hughes
- Mixed media #1 by Tim Holtz
- Compatible cutting machine
- Glossy Accents- Ranger
Steps to Make This:
- Place a scant teaspoon size blob of Banana Custard onto the monoprint plate and use the brayer spread and blend evenly. Press the foam stamp and use the ruler to make marks on the paint.
- Take the first print by placing a sheet of copy paper over the paint and press over with your hands, carefully peel off, this the primary print. Take another print from the remaining paint on the plate using a fresh sheet of copy paper, this is the ghost print.
- Place a scant teaspoon size blob of Townhouse Teal onto the monoprint plate and use the brayer spread and blend evenly. This time press the bubble wrap into the paint. Use the primary print from step 2 to take the first print and the ghost print for the second impression.
- Cut 6 masks from the Stencil film with a die.
- Place a scant teaspoon size blob of Aladdin paint onto the monoprint plate and use the brayer to spread and blend evenly. This time place the masks over the paint and take a sheet of thin copy paper and lightly press over and remove (this can be used for other print at a later date) and then lightly remove excess paint over each mask with kitchen paper. Carefully remove each mask and replace it on the plate paint side uppermost.
- Take an impression using the primary print; remove the masks before taking the ghost print.
- Trim to ghost print to 5 1/2″x 5 1/2″ and adhere to the 5 3/4″ x 5 3/4″ black card and then onto the front of the card blank.
- From the circle, die-cut two and from the sentiment, die-cut one from both white and black card.
- Apply Artist-tac to the back of the card before cutting.
- Peel the backing from the white circles and place it in a band onto the primary print, snip away any excess where they overlap.
- Cover the white circles with the black and carefully cut them round to produce a continuous band.
- Glue this onto a 2 1/2″ strip of Matte Dura-Lar with the Glossy Accents and the whole band onto the lower half of the front of the card, trim as necessary.
- To finish place the white sentiment and cover with the black as shown.
Note – You need acrylic paint with a long drying time, like Golden Acrylics.