Clear Dura-Lar Film and Opaque White Craft Plastic Film Layered Mixed Media
Project Description: Make your own one-of-a-kind artwork by using Grafix Clear Dura-Lar and Opaque White Craft Plastic Film to make a layered mixed-media design.
Designed by: Chris Cozen
Difficulty: Moderately Challenging
- Grafix .005 Clear Dura-Lar Film
- Grafix Opaque White Craft Plastic Film
- Grafix Monoprinting Plate
- Acrylic Paint, Fluid Acrylics, and Open Acrylics
- Polymer Matte Medium
- Double Sided Tape or Grafix Double Tack Mounting Film
- Various Collage Papers
- Fine Tip Brush
- Bristol Paper
- Hole Punch
- Ribbon/Wire for Hanging
- Sketch/Image Source
Steps to Make This:
- Trace an image from a sketch or other image source using a permanent fine tip marker onto the Grafix .005 Clear Dura-Lar Film.
- Select some paints (Golden Fluid Acrylics in three mixable colors: Pyrrole Red, Turquois Phthalo, and Hansa Yellow Light were used in this piece). Paint your image on the reverse side of the film.
- Gather some paper elements to create a collage, like papers that are both pre-printed and created on a Gelli Plate© as well as a doily and some origami mesh.
- Arrange your collage papers and check for compatibility with the inked image.
- Trim a piece of Grafix Opaque White Craft Plastic Film to fit the size of the Clear Dura-Lar Film image you painted.
- Arrange the collage papers as desired and glue onto the Opaque White Craft Plastic Film with Polymer Matte Medium.
- Periodically check your arrangement by holding the Clear Dura-Lar Film over the Opaque White Craft Plastic Film layer.
- Cut away all excess plastic from the Clear Dura-Lar Film image and glue it directly to the top of your collage. Be sure to place the side with the inked image face up.
- Create a print on Bristol Paper using compatible colors by applying paint and pattern onto the Grafix Monoprinting Plate with Golden Open Acrylics (slow drying paints). Allow this to dry.
- Center the White Craft Plastic layer onto the Bristol Paper layer and attach with two-sided invisible tape. Be sure to allow an even border around the entire piece.
- Take an additional Clear Dura-Lar Film and place it over the fully-dry collage-Bristol layer. Punch two holes at the top and tie with a ribbon or wire creating a loop for hanging.