Project Description: Make your own mini version of an art journal using Grafix Opaque White Craft Plastic Film and Artist Series Shrink Film.
Designed by: Tania Ahmed
- Grafix Opaque White Craft Plastic Film
- Grafix Artist Series Shrink Film – Marlene-van Niekerk Assortment
- Paper doily
- Paper with book text
- Circle Paper Punch
- Permanent markers
- Stencils or Masks
- 99% Isopropyl Alcohol
- Makeup Sponge
- Heat Tool
- Alcohol Inks
- Bookbinding thread
- Bookbinding Needle
- Awl or pokey tool (optional)
- Scoreboard plus Bone folder
Steps to Make This:
- Start by trimming Grafix Opaque White Craft Plastic Film into four 4” x 6” pieces.
- Then, drip different colors of alcohol ink onto the Opaque White Craft Plastic panels and let dry completely. (Use heat tool if necessary).
- Repeat step 2 to cover the other sides of the Opaque White Craft Plastic panels.
- Place stencils over the alcohol inked Opaque White Craft Plastic and “lift” some of the ink through the stencil by dabbing a sponge with a small amount of alcohol solution on it. This will leave a “ghost print” of the stencil.
- Once Opaque White Craft Plastic is completely dried, score at halfway point (3”) on the sheet and firmly fold in half using a bone folder.
- Mark and poke three evenly spaced holes into the spine of the journal with an awl or a bookbinding needle.
- Use the bookbinding thread and needle to start sewing through the central hole of the spine.
- Continue threading through the rest of the holes. Securely tie the loose ends of the string with a double knot and trim the excess.
- For the cover, cut out and color a butterfly design from the Grafix Artist Series Shrink Film with permanent markers.
- Use a heat tool to shrink film.
- Use a paper punch to create a circle with book text.
- To finish, glue paper doily book text circle and Artist Series Shrink Film butterfly to the front of the journal.